sexta-feira, 3 de julho de 2009

Elizabeth Barrett Browning (1806-1861)

Sonnet 43
HOW DO I LOVE THEE? LET ME COUNT THE WAYS
Elizabeth Barrett Browning

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.
I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight
For the ends of Being and ideal Grace.
I love thee to the level of everyday's
Most quiet need, by sun and candle-light.
I love thee freely, as men strive for Right;
I love thee purely, as they turn from Praise.
I love thee with a passion put to use
In my old griefs, and with my childhood's faith.
I love thee with a love I seemed to lose
With my lost saints, --- I love thee with the breath,
Smiles, tears, of all my life! --- and, if God choose,
I shall but love thee better after death.

Sonnet 43
DE QUANTAS FORMAS EU TE AMO? DEIXA-ME CONTÁ-LAS

De quantas formas eu te amo? Deixa-me contá-las.
Amo-te profunda e largamente, e tão alto quanto
Alcança a minha alma, quando perco de vista
Os propósitos do Ser e do ideal da Graça.
Amo-te tanto quanto as menores necessidades
Do dia-a-dia, seja à luz do sol ou à luz de velas.
Amo-te livre, como os homens lutam pelo Direito;
Amo-te de modo puro, como afastam o Elogio.
Amo-te com a paixão que tenho pelas
Minhas tristezas mais antigas, e com minha fé infantil.
Amo-te com um amor que pensei ter perdido
Com os santos que perdi …Amo-te com o alento,
Sorrisos e lágrimas de toda a minha vida! …e, se Deus quiser,
Irei amar-te ainda mais depois que eu morrer.

Elizabeth Barrett Browning (1806-1861)
Tradução: Thereza Christina Rocque da Motta



Nenhum comentário: